Establishing your chorus or choral consortia as a nonprofit isn't difficult but it does take time and staff resources. Luckily, there are plenty of resources available online to make this process easier!
How to File as A Nonprofit in 6 Steps
- File your state’s “articles of incorporation” forms
- Create bylaws
- Hold first official board meeting and appoint officers
- Apply for federal tax exemption and state tax exemption
- Open a bank account
- Keep track of records digitally or physically
- How to Form a Nonprofit Corporation
- Nonprofit Forms and Information by State (IRS.gov)
- Forming a Nonprofit Corporation in Your State
- Sample Nonprofit Bylaws
- Ask a singer who practices as a lawyer for help or consider hiring a lawyer to solidify the process. Look for low cost options such as “attorneys for the arts” who provide pro bono services for nonprofits.
- Rotate and stagger board positions every two or three years for continuity.
- Remember to file your nonprofit at both the federal and state level.
- Check with your state laws regarding nonprofit incorporation.
These resources were originally compiled for our Ultimate Guide to Starting a Choral Consortium.